On our recent trip aboard the Carnival Horizon stopped in La Romana, Dominican Republic. After some research, Kellman and I decided this would be a great port to do an excursion. We knew we wanted to do something adventurous and fun so we were torn between the ATV Adventure & the Dune Buggy Adventure excursions.
We ended up picking the ATV Adventure excursion since it had really great reviews, the ticket price as the Dune Buggy Adventure and because we both got to drive our own machines. Everyone knows I LOVE driving myself so I hate excursions where I have to ride on the back of Kellman's machine. It was a blast! We loved getting muddy & especially loved the gorgeous sugar cane fields we got to travel through.
Side Note: The Dune Buggy Adventure excursion is perfect for families with children 8-15 or if a member of your party does not have a driver's license since they can ride as a passenger.
Nautical Wanderers Approved?
Yes! Growing up on ATVs, this was the ideal ATV excursion for us! If you love outdoor adventures and don't mind getting a little dusty and muddy then you will love it as much as we did!
FUN: 9/10 - We had a blast and got to see parts of the country we couldn't do by car.
VALUE: 8/10 - This is a higher priced excursion but we felt it was well worth the money!
SAFETY: 9/10 - We felt very safe the entire time. Guides & locals extremely friendly!
Keep reading for our list of pros & cons, recommended items to bring and things you should know!
Visit Carnival's Excursion Website for updated pricing information HERE
What's included in the excursion ticket price:
- ATV & Tour Guide
- Soft Drink, Water & Fresh, Local Fruit
- Roughly 1.5-2 Hours of Drive Time
- Large, air-conditioned charter bus to the ATV site
- Short, scenic drive to the ATV site (about 15 minutes)
- Extremely friendly tour guides & towns people
- Beautiful countryside w/ mountain scenery
- ATV for each rider (no riding on the back of someone else's)
- ATV kept in 4th gear so no prior riding knowledge needed (good for beginners)
- Speed riding (average of 30-40 mph)
- Delicious, fresh fruit provided
- Safety helmets needed to be updated (very worn/falling apart)
- Only one true stop to get out and take photos
Know Before You Go:
- Soft drinks, water and fresh fruits are provided at the rest stop
- Bring a water bottle to quench your thirst between stops
- Must be 16 years & have a valid Driver's License
- Pregnant women not permitted
- No lockers available at the location so bring a back pack
- Closed toed shoes required, ideally water shoes
- Wear clothes you don't mind getting muddy